Saturday, July 23, 2016

first hundred ears

last saturday i brought in the black eagle wheat and hung the sheaves up in the plant the course of the past week i went down and cut off one hundred ears of wheat...this morning i finished threshing it and then went out into the heat and winnowed it ( after i vacuumed up the awns Jean ) hundred ears rendered 2 1/8 ounces of clean grain ready to be milled into flour ( about 1/3 cup by volume...if a cup of grain renders 1 1/2 cups of milled flour we should be at about 1/2 cup of flour from this grain...bread from scratch will be a process )...the next hundred are already cut ( and actually started ) many hundreds there are i do not know..haven't counted them...several more than there were of rye seed heads would be my estimate...the work should give us enough flour for several loaves...i have purchased three pounds of organic wheat to practice milling on ( and probably bread making ) before i risk all this work on a debacle...results are forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment